Sunday, October 2, 2011

CONDITIONAL SENTENCE

ILMU SOSIAL DASAR#

There are three types of the if-clauses.
Type Condition
I condition possible to fulfill
II condition in theory possible to fulfill
III condition not possible to fulfill (too late)
Form
Type If Clause Main Clause
I Simple Present will-future (or Modal + infinitive)
II Simple Past would + infinitive *
III Past Perfect would + have + past participle *
Examples (if-clause at the beginning)
Type If Clause Main Clause
I If I study, I will pass the exam.
II If I studied, I would pass the exam.
III If I had studied, I would have passed the exam.
Examples (affirmative and negative sentences)
Type Examples
I + If I study, I will pass the exam.
- If I study, I will not fail the exam.
If I do not study, I will fail the exam.
II + If I studied, I would pass the exam.
- If I studied, I would not fail the exam.
If I did not study, I would fail the exam.
III + If I had studied, I would have passed the exam.
- If I had studied, I would not have failedthe exam.
If I had not studied, I would have failedthe exam.
* We can substitute could or might for would (should, may or must are sometimes possible, too).
Exp: - If I have money, I can spend it.
- If I had money, I could spend it. (I would be able to spend it.)
- If I had money, I might spend it. (I would possibly spend it.)
Types
 Real Condition
If I have money, I spend it Type I – Present Real Condition
If I had money, I spent it Type II – Past Real Condition
If I have money, I will/am going to spend it Type III – Future Real Condition
 Unreal Condition
If I had had money, I would have spent it Type III – Past Unreal Conditional
If I had money, I would spend it I think about the spending the money TODAY Type II – Present Unreal Conditional
If I had money, I would spend it I think about the spending the money NEXT WEEK Type I – Future Unreal Conditional

Replacing if
If can be replaced by words or expressions with a similar meaning.
The most common are : - as long as - provided (that)
- assuming (that) - supposing (that)
- on condition (that) - with the condition (that)
- on the assumption (that) unless

1 comment:

  1. Very good and useful! I had been to the Eiffel Tower once. I'm a Korean, an ex English teacher. Now I'm writing English Texts.

    ReplyDelete